PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:19 pm 
GameServers.com Forum Newb

I finally got my server to register and allow 32 players. In procon on server settings>configuration>player limit to 32 and save. Now TDM, SQDM and Conquest all allow 32 players with commander and spectators set to 0.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:55 pm 

So did I, procon did it for me as well.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:56 am 
No Longer a Newb

I have to say I think the way they did this is just silly.

They should allow you to set a spectator limit and a commander limit, but no use up a slot for it. That's like a handicap parking space. No one ever parks in those things!! lol and no one seems to use spectator or commander either. It should just use up a regular slot if used.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:48 am 
No Longer a Newb

Tunnleram wrote:
I have to say I think the way they did this is just silly.

They should allow you to set a spectator limit and a commander limit, but no use up a slot for it. That's like a handicap parking space. No one ever parks in those things!! lol and no one seems to use spectator or commander either. It should just use up a regular slot if used.

Well on our server, commander spaces are taken up very very often.
It more hit and miss at this point, as most don't really have a clue what a commander can do.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:09 pm 
No Longer a Newb

Yeah, but here's what I posted on the Battlefield forums:

I would strongly urge DICE to change the way spectator and commander work in regards to using slots on servers. For people paying for the servers, they have to make a choice between using a feature that may be kewl to wasting money on slots that might never get used.

How it is:
If you turn on Spectators, you have to dedicate slots to it. For instance, if you have a 24 player server, turning on Spectator might use 2 slots rendering your server to only truly be a 22 player server.

If you turn on Commander, you have to dedicate slots to it. For instance, if you have a 24 player server, turning on Commander might use 2 slots rendering your server to only truly be a 22 player server.

Turning on Spectator and Commander will render a 24 player server only a 20 player server in this case.

How it should be:
You can enable Spectators and Commanders, but set a limit to how many can be used, or have a limit imposed.

This way you can have a 24 player server with both enabled. When either one is used, it will simply use a slot. This way if no one uses Spectator or Commander, you don't have to reserve a slot for no reason that may otherwise go unused.

This allows admins to use the features, but not waste slots or money.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:13 pm 

Tunnleram wrote:
Yeah, but here's what I posted on the Battlefield forums:

I would strongly urge DICE to change the way spectator and commander work in regards to using slots on servers. For people paying for the servers, they have to make a choice between using a feature that may be kewl to wasting money on slots that might never get used.

How it is:
If you turn on Spectators, you have to dedicate slots to it. For instance, if you have a 24 player server, turning on Spectator might use 2 slots rendering your server to only truly be a 22 player server.

If you turn on Commander, you have to dedicate slots to it. For instance, if you have a 24 player server, turning on Commander might use 2 slots rendering your server to only truly be a 22 player server.

Turning on Spectator and Commander will render a 24 player server only a 20 player server in this case.

How it should be:
You can enable Spectators and Commanders, but set a limit to how many can be used, or have a limit imposed.

This way you can have a 24 player server with both enabled. When either one is used, it will simply use a slot. This way if no one uses Spectator or Commander, you don't have to reserve a slot for no reason that may otherwise go unused.

This allows admins to use the features, but not waste slots or money.

I like this idea but good luck on them changing it now...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:49 pm 

A mod directed me to this thread. I have a 32 slot server running HC tdm only maps. And it only has 20 slots, is this due to the maps also.

I didn't see the player limit at first, used that to change the effective slots. All good now

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:06 pm 
Click my affiliate link

I just started this 32 slot TDM server and have done what is recommended in this thread to change it from 20 players to 32 players. However it is still stuck on 20 players. The map is TDM, I went into configuration and changed the Player Limit to 32 and hit Apply. However the Effective Player Limit still remains on 20 and is grayed out. I also have Commander set as off and Spectator set to 0. Is there something else I need to do to get it to recognize 32 slots? I even tried adding the vars.MaxPlayers 32 to the startup config on the server. That did change it to 32 players, however the server was then listed as Custom in the browser, which I don't want.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Rent BFBC2 server hosting in a location near you!